Hello. We're Icon.
We are creators, thinkers, makers and technologists. Naturally collaborative, our integrated communications model is purpose-built for today’s digital-first experience economy.
Founded in Melbourne Australia in 2002, we are a full-service creative, communications and digital agency with branch offices in Sydney and Canberra.
Our integrated model is adapted to the disruptive forces reshaping modern marketing and communications: the declining influence of paid media; direct-to-consumer brand marketing; the rise of ecommerce; and the experience economy.
Strategic and interdisciplinary, we understand this new landscape. Our multi-channel model creates a seamless experience and powerful brand narrative across all media.
- 4 divisions: PR; Creative; Digital; Reputation
- Preferred supplier to over 20 Australian Government departments including Defence, Home Affairs, Foreign Affairs and Health
- Specialists in behaviour change and social marketing
- Dedicated creative and advertising team led by award winning creative directors
- Strong focus on data and research
- Expert digital team specialising in open source .PHP develpment, Drupal, SaaS and PaaS development
- Dedicated crisis and brand reputation team led by former newspaper editors and writers.
Global and regional reach
Since joining PROI in 2016, we've built strong relationships with PROI partners, particularly those in the Asia-Pacific region. This includes pitching and winning several major global and regional accounts for ADP (involving Adfactors, SPRG and Huntington) and Tourism Tasmania (with Huntington).
We're also rapidly bulding our global footprint, including as the lead Australian communications and marketing agency for Expo 2020 Dubai Australia Pavilion and Global Victoria's Asia-Pacific PR agency of record.
Sectors we serve:
- Defence, cyber security and veterans
- Homeland security / countering violent extremism
- Financial services / fintech
- Energy and renewables
- Corporate and B2B Tech
- Health and Pharma
Icon’s multidisciplinary team works at the intersection of web, creative and communication services. We are 55+ individuals from across Australia and the globe, driven by shared values and curiosity about the future.
Our team is passionate about building and promoting brands with purpose – from integrated behaviour change campaigns to best-in-class digital experiences and award-winning PR.
Our team works across 10 capability areas:
- Strategy and planning
- Communications, PR and media relations
- Creative and brand
- Data analytics and media planning
- Website UX and UI design
- Website and software development
- Graphic design and production
- Video and film production
- Digital content and storytelling
- Account service and project management
- Two founding partners, Joanne Painter and Chris Dodds
- Creative Director team Ed Bechervaise and Rod Clausen
- Senior Planner, Mat Compton
- Data Analyst, Tammy Trinh
- Head of Reputation, Mark Forbes (formerly Editor in Chief of The Age Newspaper)
- Digital Content Director, Chris Bartlett (formerly digital content editor, the Brisbane Courier Mail)
- Social Media Senior Account Director, Fiona Miller
- Community engagement specialist, Abdul Hammound
- Head of PR, Matthew Thomas
- Head of UX and UI Design, Matthew White
SELECTION OF CLIENTS
- Australian Cyber Security Centre (ACSC)
- Department of Defence
- Department of Home Affairs
- Expo 2020 Dubai Australia Pavilion /DFAT
- Global Victoria
- Hanwha Q-Cells
- me Bank
- Melbourne Polytechnic
- National Disability Services Scheme
- National Library of Australia
- Royal Australian Airforce
- Schneider Electric
- Sustainability Victoria
- The University of Melbourne
- Victorian Department of Education
Awards of Distinction
Icon has won almost 50 awards in the past six years, including:
- 2019 PRIA Golden Target Award (Victoria), NWMPHN 'After Hours' behaviour change campaign
- 2019 Marketing Institute of Australia (Victoria), Yarra Trams, 'This is How You Tram' behavoiur change campaign
- 2019 Asia-Pacific Stevie Award, Silver, for Yarra Trams, 'This is How You Tram',
- 2019 Asia-Pacific Stevie Award, Gold, National Disability Insurance Scheme Website, Innovaiton in Government Website Design
- 2018 2x Gold Stevie Awards for Public Affairs and Government Communications, National Firearms Amnesty
- 2018 CommsCon Highly Commended, Government Relations; National Firearms Amnesty
- 2017 CommsCon Winner for Government Communications (#Farmers4LandReform)
- 2018 Gold Stevie Award for innovation in community relations or public service communications (Now’s the Time).
- 2018 Gold Stevie Award for innovation in public affairs communications (Now’s the Time).
- 2017 Gold Stevie Award for innovation in government communications (#Farmers4LandReform).
- 2017 Bronze Stevie Award for innovation in use of social media for Choice Hotels’ #Travelgrammer campaign.
- 2017 CommsCon Winner for government communications (#Farmers4LandReform).
- 2016 Public Affairs Asia Gold Standard Award winner (a record three trophies in corporate communications, digital communications and government relations.
- 2016 Public Relations Institute of Australia (PRIA) National Golden Target Winner for content marketing (Love Food, Hate Waste) and commended for sustainability in government relations.
- 2016 Australian Marketing Institute (AMI) National Finalist in three categories (brand revitalisation, sustainability and financial services marketing).
- 2015 PRIA National Golden Target Winner for sustainability communications (Love Food, Hate Waste).
- 2014 Australian Marketing Institute (AMI) National Winner for digital marketing